Thursday, July 19, 2012

Helping others without expecting anything in return


Helping others
I just saw the clip on the news (shown in the link above) that shows the waitress receiving a $500 tip.  The last sentence the anchorwoman said was “She plans to share with her co-workers.”

How many of us would share?
My daughter was in the food service industry for several years.  One night she had a party that refused to leave at closing.  She was there until 1:00 A.M. after they left.  A party of 30 left a $10 tip.  (This was before restaurants began charging a mandatory amount for over 8 in a party.)  She was a very good waitress.  She normally raked in the tips.  BUT, there were many times she came home either mad or crying because of the verbal abuse she would receive from some of the “Better than thou” customers. 
My first thought when I heard the anchorwoman’s comment was “I wouldn’t have”, but God quickly convicted my heart.  It is my job as a Christian to reach out to others even when I don’t have it.  I can’t judge what I do for others by what has been done to me.  Look at what they did to God’s son, Jesus.
My family has been in need multiple times when no one reached out; not even our Christian friends.  I even received a letter from my “Christian” blood family after my husband died saying basically that my children and I were being disowned because they didn’t feel they could help us when and if we needed it.  My children’s father was a wonderful loving father.  Nothing had happened to justify the treatment we received.  Some people that claim to be God’s children are hoarders.  This is  not the lesson God teaches us.
Praise almighty God that I have never had to turn to them for anything for my children.  I was ineligible for government assistance since I worked, paid car payments and paid house payments.  Oh my, shame on me for trying to be an upstanding citizen.  There was one woman, Mrs. Nadine Gaddy, she was the mother-in-law of my friend Susan.   Mrs. Nadine made sure I at least had can goods for my family.  She never helped others for a pat on the back.  She did this from the goodness of her heart. She has since passed away and I truly feel God had a special place waiting for her when her soul entered Heaven.
Matthew 25:
35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in,

36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’  

37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink?

38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you?

39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

40 “The King will reply, ‘I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.’

I try to live by these verses.  Of course, sometimes I fail, but God knows my heart.


©Betty Jean Bowers

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share: