Thursday, August 9, 2012

Andrew F. Bowers - a husband, companion, best friend and a true Dad

Andrew F. Bowers
Mr. Andrew F. "Andy" Bowers, 57, of Grantville, died Saturday, March 17, 2001, at Atlanta Medical Center.
Mr. Bowers was born June 28, 1943 in Moreland to the late James and Inez Houston Bowers. A lifelong resident of Coweta County, he was a member of the First United Methodist Church of Grantville and worked at the William L. Bonnell Company in Newnan. He was preceded in death by a son, Andrew Mark Bowers, and a sister, Barbara Jean Eison.
A funeral will be held today, Monday, March 19, 2001, at 2 p.m. at the First United Methodist Church of Grantville. The Rev. Darris Baker will officiate, and burial will be in Forest Lawn Memorial Park in Newnan. Serving as pallbearers will be Charles Young, Charles Blount, Jeff Gaddy, Lawson Boyd, Terry Futral, and Jackie Robertson.
Surviving are his wife, Betty Jean Bowers of Grantville; 10 children and two daughters-in-law, Andrew Christopher Bowers and Cristina Leigh Lassetter, of Grantville, Gabriel and Angela Bowers of Tyrone, J.R. and Amy Bowers of Quincy, Ind., and Angie Hammond, Glenn Bowers, Annette Bowers, Nicole Bowers, Alinda Bowers, and Christian Bowers of Snellville; sister Mary Jane Thompson and her husband Elwood; and 11 grandchildren, Serina Robertson of Newnan; Danielle Bowers and Ethan Bowers of Quincy, Ind., Kayla Bowers and Erica Ashley Bowers of Tyrone, and Aaron Hammond, Kyle Hammond, Jessica Bowers, Patrick Bowers, Saraya Haynes, and Trinity Bowers, all of the Snellville.
The Claude A. McKibben and Sons Funeral Home, Hogansville.
Andy was a man nobody can replace, at least not in my heart. We were together for 17 years. I will not claim we had a perfect marriage but as people say… Andy and I were perfect for each other and we were! With our union, we shared 9 beautiful children and God allowed us to give life to one additional son.  Andy was a disciplinarian with a heart. He was strict but not stiff and he loved our children so much. Our children loved him tremendously because Andy never feared showing his emotions towards them, towards me or to just about anyone he loved. He was indeed affectionate and was a man of few words. 

I still remember one conversation I had with him. We were talking about our children. About how we wanted to see all of them grow up. He had lots of dreams for them. Andy was a proud father. He was the type of father who would flaunt his children to his friends and his friends loved our children too of course. Andy dreamt big. He wanted our children to grow up wise, God fearing, respectful and successful people. I am proud to say, Andy achieved that. We brought up ten wonderful children. How lucky are we? I know Andy will flaunt our children with everyone in heaven. In fact, I am sure of that.

Andy lived his life the best way he could. He never had enemies nor did he step on anyone. Andy was well loved and respected.  How could he not be? He was such a kind soul. The type of person you can’t get enough of. Well, at least I think of him that way. I married him, didn’t I? If I could live all over again and would go back to the time when Andy asked me to marry him, even for a million times all over I would still say yes! Marrying him was the best decision I ever made in my life and I would not change that even if I have the chance to do so.  That’s how much I loved my husband; that’s how much I will keep on loving him.

He was also a volunteer with UMCOR (United Methodiest Committee on Relief).  He said he wasn't a carpenter, but he could cook.  He would travel with the other volunteers to the sites and cook for the families touched by the tragedy and the volunteers.

Andy is in heaven now. He’s with his parents, sister, his son Mark and other friends who have gone on.  I’m sure he is happy there because in heaven there is peace. Andy had no unfinished business here and he was ready when God took him to be with Him in His kingdom. We, as his family, weren’t prepared when that day came, but he was at peace with our God. We all were able to say our goodbyes and somehow, letting him go was not so painful knowing that he was at peace and there would be no more bodily pain. 


Andy, I know we will see each other again. I would feel your warm embrace again and our souls will unite for an eternity together in heaven. In the meantime, please do guide us as we live our life here on earth. Do watch over our children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren.  Protect them from harm. Andy, you will always be remembered and you will always live in our hearts.  I love you so much.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Share: